Monday, January 12, 2015

Lets Begin!!!!!!!!

Hi Everyone and Welcome!

Before I began let me just give a short online of what I hope will happen over this year!
So This is a year long book project for me.
1. I'll be sharing my story and my struggles with the term ''wholeness''.
2. Once a week we'll hear for others on this subject. People who have disabilities and are not a shamed of it. starting next month.
3. Lastly, we'll get to hear from those who may not realize their disabilities.

Lets dive right in! Here is my story...



January 2006 I woke up at 4:30 in the morning. The whole house was quiet. My roommate was still in bed. I only had one hour before I had to catch my bus downtown. When I go into the kitchen I know that making breakfast for myself is going to be a real challenge. So, instead of going through the hassle of preparing something, I had gotten used to eating a bagel every morning. Of course, I don’t put anything on the bagel because that would be too hard to do. After I have eaten my breakfast, I think upon the fact that today will be the first day that I will be leaving my own house on a bus to go downtown alone. What will I do when I get down there I don’t know. I’ve never done it before on my own.
At 5:45 I wait outside in the cold for the bus to come. I got outside at 5:25 because I knew it would take me at least 20 minutes to lock the door behind me. The bus shows up at 6:30. I’m about to freeze in the cold. As I get onto the bus, I slowly get out my money to pay. I drop it all over the bus. For a brief moment, I feel that this will upset the bus driver, but for some reason it does not upset her. The kindness of the woman’s face as she said, “That’s ok, I’ll help you pick it up.” After that, she helped me put on my seat belt. I look around the bus. The radiator was leaking. A lot of the seats were torn. And then, before I knew it, we were on our way downtown.

It was a long drive and took about an hour. But then again, I had a lot to think about on the way that day. How would I get around? I had never been alone but for a couple hours, much less a whole day. What if I fell down? What will happen when I get ready to eat lunch? Would there be somebody there to help me? These are all the questions that were going through my mind. But then again, this was an adventure. I knew that God called me to preach the Gospel downtown. I knew that God had a purpose for me in the downtown community, helping the homeless, making relationships with those who live and work downtown. Before I knew it, I had a peace about what I was about to do. I knew that God was with me, and I also knew that this was only the beginning. That every day that I go to ride on this bus was going to be a new adventure, new people to meet, lots that I would be able to touch. The best part of the whole story is this is not how my journey began.


Join me Mondays and Fridays for new posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment